Lately, I’ve had a a little more time and a little less money on my hands, and I’ve happily spent them both at thrift stores. While I’ve never considered myself an especially savvy thrifter, last week I managed to find some pretty great stuff. Is it possible to get better with practice? It must be.
Here are some of my favorite finds—a lot of gold and glass:
1. Geo Clamshell Terrarium $2.99 – Geo terrariums at Urban Outfitters run between $30 and $45. Snatching this one for three bucks? Score.
2. Mid-Century Modern Salt and Pepper Shakers $7.99 – A big ticket item as far as thrift stores go, but I went for it. The salt and pepper funnel just perfectly through the black, wavy-edged stoppers, and I make it rain on them potatoes.
3. Gold-Rimmed Zebra Rocks Glasses 50¢ each – The price was right! And the eye-catching pattern is a snazzy addition to my humble home bar.
4. Punched Tin Candle Holder $1.99 – The small details are made even lovelier by a candle flame, and I think the imperfections give it character.
5. Glass letter holder $3.99 – As if I needed a excuse to display my junk mail.
6. Wooden Trinket Box $2.99 – I’m a sucker for little boxes and catch-alls. Even when I don’t have anything to put in them.
(I have a problem.)
If you’re in the Phoenix area and want to hit up any of the places I went to, here’s a cheat sheet: